In today’s episode, Dr. Josh and Dr. Doug share the exact strategy, services, and pricing they’ve used to grow their own direct-pay primary care (DPC) practice, Atlas MD, into a 3 physician practice.
They explain the common pitfalls they’ve seen other physicians make and a 5-step conversion checklist to convert a practice in 8-12 weeks.
Listen to This Show and Learn:
- The Atlas MD model – The exact services Atlas MD uses in their 3 physician DPC practice
- Reasonably priced – preferably cheaper for children
- Unlimited visits, email and texts
- Little to No co-pays
- As many in house procedures as possible
- At cost meds and labs
- The car insurance analogy that Josh and Doug use to educate their patients on direct primary care and bring them into the practice
- Why you should give your patients unlimited access via text and email
- The exact process Josh and Doug use to convert physicians to DPC
- Why it’s essential to help your patients figure out the best health insurance to go with your direct primary care practice
- How Josh and Doug are able to show patients they’ll save money by negotiating better costs for meds, labs, and other tests and offering simple procedures in the practice
- An 8-12 week conversion template
- 3 letters
- An Introduction – Why I’m changing – Start with Emotion!
- First Explanation of Model
- Second Explanation of Model
- Town Hall meetings
- Staff education meetings
- Designing pricing and a well rounded value proposition
- 3 letters
- How Josh and Doug recruited their staff
- The mistakes Josh and Doug have seen kill other DPC practices
- Starting pricing too high and value to low!
- Trying to do too much at the beginning
- If Direct Primary Care will make you a “whipping boy” for patients that want certain medications
- How converting to a direct primary care model helped a physician go from feeling depress and a failure to fulfilled and successful
- How direct primary care will affect the upcoming primary care physician shortage
- The role of technology in the future of healthcare and direct primary care and how Josh and Doug believe it will lead to better care and more fulfilling work
- Quest Diagnostics
- Cole Diagnostics
- The Lean Startup
- TED Talk – How to Start a Movement
- Start with Why
- Dr. Josh and Doug’s Reading List
- Dr. John and Harry Izbicki
- Atlas.MD Contact Info
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.